Pitt Town is located in the Hawkesbury River Valley, approximately 53 kilometres north-west of the Sydney CBD. Pitt Town was originally known for its market gardens and orchards, the fertile land on the Hawkesbury River flats is now covered with turf farms.
Pitt Town is one of the five ‘Macquarie Towns’ established by Governor Macquarie in 1810. It is named after William Pitt the Younger, the 18th Century British Prime Minister.
In 1981, Pitt Town became nationally and internationally recognised for setting of ‘Wandin Valley’ in the long-running television series “A Country Practice”.
Pitt Town is home to one public school in Buckingham Street and two churches, St James Anglican Church on Bathurst Street and The Scots Church almost directly opposite, as well as two cemeteries. The Pitt Town General Cemetery is located off Old Stock Route Road and the Pitt Town (St James) Anglican Cemetery off Old Pitt Town Road, which contains many of the early pioneers of Pitt Town.
Pitt Town has many heritage buildings in excellent condition with many recognised as local and state listed heritage items.